Sunday, January 6, 2013

Saag tofu


See, I didn't actually use spinach, which is what saag means because I only had kale. So it's not really saag tofu, but that is what it is supposed to be and I'm sure the recipe will work very well with either spinach or kale. It's also fairly easy and simple to make, although I will tweak the recipe a bit next time. This recipe comes from The Inspired Vegan. My food photography skills do not do it justice, it is very good. My notes/alterations in italics.

1 lb extra firm tofu
1 t ground cumin
3/4 t ground tumeric
3/4 t mustard seeds
1/2 t fennel seeds
sea salt
5 T olive oil
2 lbs spinach or kale, washed and trimmed
1 small yellow or medium red onion
1 t minced ginger I used more like 1 1/2 teaspoon, and I used my microplane grater
2 small chilies, seeded and minced. I wasn't feeling like spicy, so I left this out. Next time, I'll use one small chili.
1/2 t ground coriander I love coriander, so I used a heaping teaspoon
1 t ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced or microplane them
1 1/2 cups unflavored rice milk  I used one can of coconut milk, next time I'm going to try hazelnut milk

Preheat oven to 450. 

Slice tofu into cubes. Set aside.

Combine 1/2 t cumin, 1/2 t turmeric, 1/2 t mustard seeds, 1/4 t fennel and 1/2 t salt and mix well. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, mix well. Add tofu cubes and toss gently to coat.  Set tofu cubes on a lightly oiled pan, roasting for 15 minutes, turning, and then roasting for 15 more minutes. The original recipe said to use parchment paper, which I don't have.

Meanwhile, the recipe called for blanching the spinach. I steamed the kale instead.

In sauce pan, combine onion with the remaining oil and spices and salt. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and browning. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add the spinach or kale and the milk to the saucepand and simmer over medium low heat, covered, until the spinach is creamy. At this point, I used my food processor to not quite puree it because my husband hates the texture of onions. Add 8 to 12 cubes of the tofu, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with salt to taste, serve.


I found that the tofu came out a bit to dry from the oven, so I will reduce the roasting time by 10 minutes next time. This is a really very tasty, creamy and smooth saag tofu, and I did not at all wish I was eating my former favorite, saag gosht.

No comments:

Post a Comment